Trade and cultural exchange in the Hellenistic Mediterranean
During the Hellenistic era, as particularly vibrant period of commercial life and cultural interaction, the Mediterranean was marked by an upsurge in mobility of goods and people. The study of material culture, with special emphasis on the aspects of production, dispersal, social use and the transference as well as transformation of the cultural significance of ceramic artefacts, provides the possibility of gaining insights into the dynamics of trade and other forms of exchanges not only of goods but also of ideas interwoven into the social-political-cultural development of the respective communities. In this regard, the special focus is set on the area of the central eastern Adriatic, and the entanglement of its above-mentioned development with the active participation of this region in creation of Mediterranean connectivity routes.
Dr. sc. Branko Kirigin, Archaeological museum Split
Priv. Doz. Mag. Dr. Sabine Ladstätter (Director of the Austrian Institute of Archaeology in Vienn and leader of archaeological investigations in Ephesos), Austrian Institute of Archaeology
Ass. prof. dr. Branimir Šegvić, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, USA
Dr. Francesca Silvestrelli, Università del Salento, Dipartamento di Beni Culturali
- Šegvić, B., Ugarković, M., Süssenberg, A., Ferreiro Mählmann, R., Moscariello, A., 2016, Compositional properties and provenance of Hellenistic pottery from the necropolis of Issa with evidences on the cross-Adriatic and the Mediterranean-scale trade, Mediterraenan Archaeology and Archaeometry, 16.1, 23-52.
- Ugarkovic, M. 2016, Light from the East. Hellenistic Relief Lamps of Eastern Mediterranean provenance in Dalmatia, in: Lipovac Vrkljan, G., Ozanic Roguljic, I. Ugarkovic, M. (eds.), Roman and Late Antique Lamps: Production and Distribution, contacts on the Mediterranean, Institute of Archaeology Zagreb, e-ZIA 1, 5-18.
- Ugarkovic M, Segvic, B. 2015, New insights into the far-flung markets of Levantine products: The Phoenician amphoriskoi from Issa (Eastern Adriatic, Croatia), 2nd IARPotHP congress “Daily life in a cosmopolitan world: Pottery and culture during the Hellenistic period”, Book of Abstracts, Lyon, 20, 21.
- Šegvić, B., Ugarković, M., Moscariello, A. 2015, Automated Mineralogy in Ceramic Research – Advantages, Potential Pitfalls, and Future Perspectives, in Abstract book of the 13th European Meeting on Ancient Ceramics, At N.C.S.R. “Demokritos” and British School at Athens, Athens, Greece.
- Ugarkovic, M. 2015, Remembering the dead in Roman and Late Antique Ephesus: local vs imported lamps in the burial and post-burial rites at the Harbor necropolis, in: M. Ugarkovic; I. Ozanic Roguljic, G. Lipovac Vrkljan (eds.), Roman and Late Antique Lamps: Production and Distribution, contacts on the Mediterranean, Abstract book, Institute of Archaeology Zagreb, 12,13.
- Ugarković, M., 2014, Oil-lamps from the Graeco-Hellenistic Collection of the Archaeological Museum in Split, Vjesnik za historiju i arheologiju dalmatinsku 107, 161-200.
- Ugarković Marina, Šegvić Branimir, Ferreiro Mählmann R., 2014, Insights in the technology of manufacture and provenance of ceramic vessels from the necropolis of Hellenistic Issa (Middle Adriatic, Croatia), Proceedings of the XX congress of the Carpathian Balkan Geological Association Tirana, Albania, 24-26 september 2014, abstract.
- Ugarkovic, M., Segvic, B., 2014, Tableware of the living or pots for the dead? An introduction to the 2nd and 1st c. BC greyware from the tombs of Issa (Eastern Adriatic), Abstracts book of 3rd International Archaeological Colloquy “Roman Ceramic and Glass Manufactures; Production and Trade in the Adriatic region“, Crikvenica 4th – 5th November 2014.
- Neuhauser, T., Ugarković, M., Rode, M., Sass, O.; Stangl, J. 2014, Hellenistic fortification of Epetion (East Adriatic): Preliminary observations on the 2012 geophysical and archaeological probes, in E. Trinkl, Akten des 14. Österreichischen Archäologentages am Institut für Archäologie der Universität Graz vom 19. bis 21. April 2012 (Veröffentlichungen des Instituts für Archäologie der Karl-Franzens- Universität Graz, band 11), Phoibos Wien 2014, 289-295.
- Šegvić, Branimir, Ugarković, Marina, Laskowski, N., Ferreiro Mählmann, R. (2012) Material characteristics and production technology of Greek pottery manufacturing in the Adriatic – case study of Hellenistic Issa, in: F. Schlütter, S. Greiff, M. Prange,(eds.) Archäometrie und Denkmalpflege 2012: Jahrestagung an der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, 28-31. März 2012, Metalla (Forschungsberichte des Deutschen Bergbau-Museums) Sonderheft 5.