The regional and the local: elements of costume in the light of expressing identity of indigenous protohistoric communities
Costume and jewellery items are frequently affected by changes that sometimes reflect novelties in the production technique, the fashion of the given period, or foreign influences. In the case of indigenous protohistoric communities of the northern Eastern Adriatic, the use of traditional forms runs hand in hand with the integration of the new forms into local costume. It is precisely these traditional forms, which are sometimes used across several generations without major changes, that we may consider a particularly significant marker of affiliation to a specific community. In this, the way a new form was integrated into the indigenous costume is often very significant in the context of affiliation to a wider regional community, that is, specific combinations of elements of different origin lead to the creation of local costume types recognizable at a micro-regional level.
- Dizdar M., Tonc A., Finds of fibulae from 1st cent. BC in Croatia: Trade and exchange between Eastern Alps, Danube and North Adriatic Region before and during the Roman conquest. In: Verwandte in der Fremde - Relations Abroad: Brooches and other elements of dress as sources for reconstructing interregional movement and group boundaries from the Punic wars to the decline of the Western Roman Empire, Grabherr G., Kainrath B., Schierl T. (eds.), Innsbruck 2013, 49-76.
- Drnić I., Tonc A., Kasnolatenske i ranocarske fibule s latenskog prostora, Prilozi Instituta za arheologiju u Zagrebu 31, 2014, 181-214.
- Tonc A., Silver pendants with Anthropomorphic Representations on the Territory of the Eastern Adriatic Protohistoric Societies. In: Masken der Vorzeit in Europa (II). Internationale Tagung vom 19. bis 21. November 2010 in Halle (Saale), Meller H., Maraszek R. (eds.), Tagungen des Landesmuseums für Vorgeschichte Halle Band 7, Halle (Saale) 2012, 63-70.
- A. Tonc: Protopovijesne zajednice na sjevernom dijelu istočne obale Jadrana i njezinu zaleđu (doktorski rad), Zagreb 2015.
- Tonc, A.: Between the sea and the Alps: traces of mobility and trade of the Late Iron age societies in the Northern Adriatic. In: Interdisciplinarité et nouvelles approches dans les recherches sur l'âge du Fer. Dissertationes archaeologicae Brunenses/Pragensesque. Supplementum IV, J. Wilczek, A. Cannot, T. Le Cozanet, J. Remy, J. Macháček, J. Klápště), (eds.), Brno 2017, 119-123.