Late Bronze Age mortuary practices and society in southern Carpathian Basin (BAMPICa)
This project, supported by Croatian science foundation (UIP-11-2013-5327), proposes to combine archaeology and physical anthropology in order to expand the current knowledge of Late Bronze Age (LBA) mortuary practices and society in Carpathian Basin. It integrate analyses of burial features and associated artifacts with analyses of cremated human remains from at least seven urnfield cemeteries in northern Croatia, dated between 13th and 9th century BC. We try to seek correlations between skeletal and artifactual evidence, which should allow us to recognize regularities and possible discrepancies linked to a specific gender or age group. Our primary aim is to investigate the variability of mortuary practices as reflected in modes of corpse treatment and disposal. At a more general level, we shall combine our data in order to investigate LBA social identities in southern Carpathian Basin.
Project website http://projekti.iarh.hr/bampica/
http://projekti.iarh.hr/bampica/medunarodni-skup-late-bronze-age-mortuary-practices-and-society-in-the-carpathian-basin/" target="_blank">Zagreb, Late Bronze Age mortuary practices and societies in Carpathian Basin – BAMPICa conference, February 9-10, 2017.
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D. 2011, Funerary Pracices of Late Bronze Age Communities in Continental Croatia, Bronze Age Rites and Rituals in the Carpathian Basin, Proceedings of the International Colloquium from Tâgru Mureş, 8-10 October 2010, S. Berecki, R. E. Németh, B. Rezi (ur.), Tâgru Mureş, 245-259.
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D. 2013, Cremation burials in Northern Croatia 1300-750 BC, Brandbestattungen von der mittleren Donau bis zu Ägäis zwischen 1300 und 750 v. Chr., Lochner, M., Ruppenstein, F. (ur.), Wien, 99-117.
- Rajić Šikanjić, P., Ložnjak Dizdar D., Creating the database of Urnfield burials from northern Croatia, in: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Cultural Heritage and New Technologies 2014 (CHNT 19, 2014). Museen der Stadt Wien - Stadtarchäologie, Vienna 2015, 1-7.
- Ložnjak Dizdar D., Rajić Šikanjić P., Funerary practices at the end of the Late Bronze Age in the Southern Middle Danube region, in: Funerary Practices during the Bronze and Iron Ages in Central and Southeast Europe, Proceedings of the 14th International Colloquium of Funerary Archaeology in Čačak, Serbia, 24th – 27th September 2015, eds. Valeriu Sîrbu, Miloš Jevtić, Katarina Dmitrović and Marija Ljuština, International Union for Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences (UISPP) – 30th Commission: Prehistoric and Protohistoric Mortuary Practices Association for Studies of Funerary Archaeology (ASFA) – Romania – University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philosophy – National musem Čačak, Beograd – Čačak 2016, 109-126.
- Ložnjak Dizdar D., Rajić Šikanjić P., O pogrebnim običajima u 11. st. pr. Kr. na jugu Karpatske kotline (primjer: groblje u Slatini)/On Burial Practices in the Southern Carpathian Basin in the 11th Century BC (Case Study: Cemetery in Slatina), Prilozi Instituta za arheologiju u Zagrebu, vol. 33, 133-153.