Late Bronze Age mortuary practices and society in southern Carpathian Basin (BAMPICa)
This project, supported by Croatian science foundation (UIP-11-2013-5327), proposes to combine archaeology and physical anthropology in order to expand the current knowledge of Late Bronze Age (LBA) mortuary practices and society in Carpathian Basin. It integrate analyses of burial features and associated artifacts with analyses of cremated human remains from at least seven urnfield cemeteries in northern Croatia, dated between 13th and 9th century BC. We try to seek correlations between skeletal and artifactual evidence, which should allow us to recognize regularities and possible discrepancies linked to a specific gender or age group. Our primary aim is to investigate the variability of mortuary practices as reflected in modes of corpse treatment and disposal. At a more general level, we shall combine our data in order to investigate LBA social identities in southern Carpathian Basin.
Project’s web-site: http://projekti.iarh.hr/bampica
Daria Ložnjak Dizdar, Marko Dizdar, Petra Rajić Šikanjić (Institute for anthropological research), Stašo Forenbaher (Institute for anthropological research), Zrinka Premužić (Institute for anthropological research), Boris Kavur (University of Primorska), Carola Metzner-Nebelsick (Ludwig-Maximillian University in Munich), Marie Louise Stig Sørensen (University of Cambridge), Siniša Radović (Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Institute for Quaternary Palaeontology and Geology)
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D. 2011, Funerary Pracices of Late Bronze Age Communities in Continental Croatia, Bronze Age Rites and Rituals in the Carpathian Basin, Proceedings of the International Colloquium from Tâgru Mureş, 8-10 October 2010, S. Berecki, R. E. Németh, B. Rezi (ur.), Tâgru Mureş, 245-259.
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D. 2013, Cremation burials in Northern Croatia 1300-750 BC, Brandbestattungen von der mittleren Donau bis zu Ägäis zwischen 1300 und 750 v. Chr., Lochner, M., Ruppenstein, F. (ur.), Wien, 99-117.
- P. Rajić Šikanjić, D. Ložnjak Dizdar, Creating the data base of Urnfield Burials from nothern Croatia. 19th International Conference on Cultural Heritage and New Technologies 2014 (CHNT 19, 2014). Museen der Stadt Wien - Stadtarchäologie, Vienna 2014. (oral presentation p.39-40)
- Ložnjak Dizdar D., Rajić Šikanjić, P. 2016, Funerary practices at the end of the Late Bronze Age in the southern Middle Danube region, in Sîrbu, V., Jevtić, M., Dmitrović, K. and Ljuština, M. (eds.) Funerary Practices during the Bronze and Iron Ages in Central and Southeast Europe, Proceedings of the 14th International Colloquium of Funerary Archaeology in Čačak, Serbia, 24th – 27th September 2015. 109-126. Beograd – Čačak, International Union for Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences (UISPP) – 30th Commission: Prehistoric and Protohistoric Mortuary Practices Association for Studies of Funerary Archaeology (ASFA) – University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philosophy – National musem Čačak.
- Ložnjak Dizdar D., Rajić Šikanjić P. 2016, O pogrebnim običajima u 11. st. pr. Kr. na jugu Karpatske kotline (primjer: groblje u Slatini)/ On burial practices in the southern Carpathian Basin in the 11th century BC (case study: cemetery in Slatina). Prilozi Instituta za arheologiju u Zagrebu 33, 133-153.
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D. 2017, Slatina – The Late Urnfield Cemetery in the Drava Valley and the Problem of the Beginning of the Late Urnfield Culture in Northern Croatia, in: The Late Urnfield culture between the Eastern Alps and the Danube, Proceedings of the international conference in Zagreb, November 7-8, 2013. Serta Instituti archaeologici vol. 9, Zagreb, 87-108.
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D., Filipović, S., Rajić Šikanjić, P., Radović, S., Forenbaher, S. 2018. Pogrebni običaji i društvo kasnog brončanog doba na jugu Karpatske kotline - Groblje Slatina, 11. st. pr. Kr./Late Bronze Age mortuary practices and society in southern Carpathian Basin, Monografije Instituta za arheologiju 13. Zagreb.
- Ložnjak Dizdar, D., Dizdar, M. (eds.) 2019, Late Bronze Age mortuary practices and society in southern Carpathian Basin. Proceedings of international conference in Zagreb, 11th-12th February 2017. Serta Instituti archaeologici vol. 11, Zagreb.